Sunday, February 17, 2008

Unconditional Love


Listening to This American Life, a show I love listening to on public radio in the car when I remember to tune in, and before I got Sirius! Jordan of Oh Happy Day made note of the Unconditional Love episode and thought I'd give it a listen. As a parent, it hits home for me pretty hard.

One of the quotes that struck a chord for me in the "Love is a Battlefield" segment is...

If you're the kind of person who actually needs love, really needs love, chances are you're not the kind of person who's going to have the wherewithal to create it. Creating love is not for the soft and sentimental among us. Love is a tough business.
As a much too young single mother, I probably needed more love than I had to give and tough is one thing I've never been. I hope one day my son will understand this and know that I have always loved him with my entire being. He was always my reason to keep trudging along and still is.

No comments: