Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Graphic Design vs. Illustration


Your pants fell down., originally uploaded by Ayoumali.

While creating icons in illustrator today at work, I realized how few opportunities I had to use vector images at my old job, which means I don't have as much experience with it as I'd like. They turned out pretty nice though! It also got me to thinking about the separation between Illustrators and Designers. I obviously lean more toward the designer segment, as I am much better with putting all of the pieces together than creating vectors myself. Usually if I need something like that, I purchase a stock image and alter it to suit my needs. Easy enough!

This evening I ran across this article on the decline of illustration. Very interesting read...especially the comments. One of the commenters made note of Starbuck's use of illustration and how it lends to a hand crafted appeal. Perfect usage of illustration, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing their Christmas designs every single year! Sad that more corporations won't spend the extra money to kick their ad campaigns up a notch through the use of original illustrations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the hand crafted appeal, I use vectors everyday and it take a lot of work to give them that look

Stacie Frazier - Haute Shots said...

Agreed! Even the simplest of vector work can be tricky! It is truly an art.